Friday, May 14, 2010

What if I let a white hair stylist do my hair?

Well I'm Black. And My hair is nappy and thick. It is so hard to comb. I had perm, I hate perm... I haven't had perm since last year April.





Even if I get the best best best hair stylist in the world... why can't he or she do my hair? Are beauty school teaching White beauticians how to do African American's hair?What if I let a white hair stylist do my hair?
Hmmm, you might be better off learning how to take care of your own hair. Many people, black and white, don't know how to handle natural hair in general. Believe me, blacks have just as many misconceptions about natural hair as any other race and they can ***** up your hair. You'll be walking out of the salon with thinner hair because they've raked a fine tooth (very small) comb through it when it was dry. Or, pressed it using too much heat and gave you heat damaged, which causes parts of your hair to remain permanently straight. Or, cutting off a lot of hair when they were only supposed to trim it. If you go to a salon then I'd probably try to find a natural hair care salon, or make sure the hair dresser is experienced with handling natural hair. When they begin to treat your hair as if it were straight then that's a good sign that they don't know what they are doing.





Your hair isn't easy to get a comb through like straight hair - this is for ANYONE with curly hair. Curly hair tangles and takes patience to untangle. Many beauticians do not have the time to patiently detangle your hair properly and give it the TLC it needs. You can only count on yourself to treat your hair the way it should be treated. I have never went to a salon since I got my hair cut to go natural, and I don't plan on. I do my own deep conditioning treatments, and washing, conditioning, and styling. The only time I will go to a salon is when I want to get my hair dyed, and when I do that then it wouldn't matter what ethnicity the hairstylist is as long as s/he know how to properly color and handle curly hair. BTW, there are also salons that specialize in curly hair, if you can find one in your area.





Sadly, beauty schools, IMO, don't teach white or black students how to properly take care of black hair, period. Unfortunately, some schools teach about black hair based on myths and not facts. For instance, one woman on a message board said her beauty school professor told her that conditioner cannot be left on the hair overnight or the hair will fall out - FLAT OUT LIE. Or, how some professors teach their students that the hair should be greased before it's flat ironed - CAN YOU SAY FRYING HAIR! That's why I do my own hair, because many blacks know nothing about natural hair or how to properly handle it or take care of it. Not to mention I've heard of a black beautician who told a girl that she could never go back to her natural hair....doesn't make sense, does it? Or, the beauticians who tell people that dirt makes the hair grow - ANOTHER FLAT OUT LIE. Or, how tight braids pulls the hair out of the scalp so it can get longer - NO, IT CAUSES BREAKAGE AND SCALP DAMAGE! Just because someone is black or a licensed beautician does not mean they know about relaxed hair, natural hair, or hair care in general.





BTW, there are many white hairstylists who know how to handle black hair and know how to apply relaxers and even know that relaxers are not good for the hair....If you go to a hairstylist (any race) then make sure they know how to handle your hair type.





http://forum.blackhairmedia.com


http://www.longhaircareforum.com


http://www.motowngirl.com


http://www.nappturality.comWhat if I let a white hair stylist do my hair?
Beauty schools vary very widely in what they teach and in the techniques they expose their students to. Just because a stylist went to a school, doesn't mean he/she know what to do with every hair type.





I'd be very careful going to a white stylist. Check whether there are other black patrons first of all and see the results. Do the tools and products in that salon look familiar to you? Does the advice the stylist gives demonstrate an understanding of your hair?





I'd ask those before handing over my hair.
No, i wouldnt let a white hair stylist do my hair if i was black. Just becuase i know that we are of different ethnic cultures and our hair is different. If you want your hair to turn out good, go to a black hairstylist. She will know how to work you hair, cut it, and make it look beautiful!





Hope this helps, good luck!





Please answer mine..?





http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Aszd9DNvs90VHtAR2vGB.wfsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20090406192836AAmhD62
im sure a white hair stylist knoes what to do with african american hair. they go to beauty school so im sure they kno how to handle every type of hair

No comments:

Post a Comment