Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Why do I need to tip my hair stylist when I've already paid for the service?

My job doesn't tip me for the work they pay me to do. Please don't say if you want her to do a good job I have to tip her. That's why I pay her.Why do I need to tip my hair stylist when I've already paid for the service?
hairdressers are on a poor wage most of the money goes to the owner so if you like this person who does your hair treat them, and next time they do your hair they'll do a even better job....Why do I need to tip my hair stylist when I've already paid for the service?
I am a stylist who works in a healthy hair concept salon and we get paid very little tring to give clients a low cost hair care service, so for me my tips that my clients give helps out alot especially during the week since we get paid weekly it really helps out with gas and lunch money for the week

Report Abuse



You do not need to tip your stylist. It's a custom that some people observe and some don't. It has been my experience that people normally tip their stylist unless they are the owner of the salon because the stylists working for someone have to pay part of what they earn to the salon owner. I have worked in both situations and when you are working for someone and have to pay them part of what you earn, the tips really help because you do not have to share those with the salon owner. I owned a salon for over 5 years and some of my customers tipped and some didn't. It made no difference to me who tipped and who didn't. I always did a good job whether they tipped me or not. I would say that 90% of my customers did give me tips even though I owned the salon because they appreciated the time I took to make certain that they were happy with my work.
i agree. i haven actually heard of tipping ur hairdresser. tahts y u pay them
I don't understand what the point in tipping a hair stylist is either. I never tip my hair stylist and she always does a phenomenal job. They already charge me enough, I'm not going to pay extra money when I don't even HAVE to.
because most the money you already pay doesnt go towards her paycheck so it gives her more money than what she already makes
TBH i tip my hair stylist,


my hair stylist is realy cheap but does an amazing job and always knows exactly wat i want,


most of the money you pay your stylist actually pays for stuff like the tea and coffee or drinks you get whilest they are doing your hair (if they r nice like that) or the treatments like peroxides, dyes or even the rent of their shop.


i always tip mine becuase she does a wonderful job. its like a little kid getting praised for doing a good peice of work or a yr 10 getting praised for an amazing peice of coursework, if you dont show them you think they did an amazing job then how are they ever going to know? you dont NEED to tip your hair stylist but its common curtosey, like tipping the taxi driver or the pizza delivery man...


Hope this helped:S


Byes
Hairstylists are usually paid one of two ways (at least in my state, where there is no booth rental) One is hourly, which is generally slightly above or slightly below minimum wage. The second way is commission, which is a percentage of your wages brought in that week (the other half of the percentage that does not end up on a stylist's check goes to the owner, who uses it for business costs). For those states with booth rental, I believe the stylist keeps the entire cost, but is also expected to pay rent, and furnish their own supplies (including color, styling products, etc.) So in the end, many stylists really aren't making that much of a wage at all, just by providing the services. It's the tips that really help them to make a decent (or in many cases, slightly above fast food restaurants) wage. Now, some very high class salons don't expect you to personally hand over a tip; it is actually written as a mandatory charge already on your bill. And also keep in mind that stylists are generally expected to pay for their own shears, combs, hot tools, clippers, etc., as well as advanced education classes to keep up on the latest trends (and often, newer stylists are still paying off their school loans as well). In addition, stylists experience slow weeks and even months, in which their paycheck is below normal. So, in essence, a few dollars given to a stylist who did a good job on your hair is only a small sacrifice to you, but can make a big difference to the stylist by the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment