Thursday, January 21, 2010

I'm trying to figure out which is better should I become a hair stylist or an art therapist?

I love doing hair, but I also love doing art but Idk if I would enjoy being an art therapist, but if were to become a hairstylist then I would try and start my own business. but in my family I'm like excepted to go to school when honestly I'd love just to do hair. I'm enrolled in a community college right now but idk what to do!I'm trying to figure out which is better should I become a hair stylist or an art therapist?
hello! i am in graduate school right now for art therapy. i am also a professional photographer and thought i wanted to do that for a living. i tried it for several years, but hated the business part. it nearly ruined my love of photography. i found out the hard way that running your own business is 10 times harder than working for someone. maybe 100 times harder! if you like business and are very ambitious, then starting your own business would be a good fit. i wanted to spend more time with my family and actually live my life!





but art therapy is perfect for me, as i've always loved art and psychology. you have to want to help people, and you have to love art. BUT you do NOT have to be a great artist! art therapy is about the process being theraputic, not necessarily the product. although the truly fascinating part is that people's thoughts and feelings truly do come out in art form, even if they don't realize it. colors, lines, shapes, and even placement of objects can all mean things and can all be analyzed. art therapy is becoming more widely accepted and many hospitals, psych hospitals, schools, rehab facilities, senior living facilities (just to name a few) have art therapists including having your own practice if you want to be in business!





if you just love to do hair, you can go to school for that, try it out and see how you like it! if you want a different career, you can always go back to school and you'll have your hair career to fall back on and help you make money through school (people always want their hair done!!). i wouldn't go for all the schooling required to be an art therapist if you weren't sure you wanted to do that.





best of luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment