Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Would it be easy to groom a dog if you're a professional hair stylist?

My mom is a professional hairstylist and she wants to cut my puppy's hair short since the weather is starting to get hot. But we don't want to spend 30-40 dollars at the groomers.





What do you think? Are there anything that my mom should avoid?Would it be easy to groom a dog if you're a professional hair stylist?
No. Cutting human hair is nothing like cutting dog hair. I do NOT suggest your mother go near your dog with scissors. At best, she'll give it an ugly choppy haircut. At worst, the puppy will jump around and she'll end up gashing him open and paying a few hundred bucks at the ER vet.





You should have thought about grooming expenses before you got the dog. Grooming is something some dogs need, if your dog needs it, pay a professional to do it right.Would it be easy to groom a dog if you're a professional hair stylist?
Kinda makes me wince, but it's not impossible. But both you and your mother have to accept BEFORE any clipping is done that it will probably not look the best.





Advice - Do not use scissors for the majority of the hair cut. If it is a puppy it will not stand still enough for you to hand scissor the whole thing (which is rarely done anyway). There are a few exceptions to this rule, but you didn't say what kind of puppy so, Get a decent pair (not the 20 walmart specials) of dog clippers and a few blades. They do heat up so you will want more than one of the length you choose. If you use human clippers on the wrong kind of dog, you will destroy them, plus they tend to be louder and scare puppies.





Honestly, you might just be better off taking her to the groomer since looking at what I've written you'll be spending a lot more than 40 bucks. Unless you want to groom her for her life, than it is worth it but not for a one time thing.
Honestly I have never seen a stylist do a good job grooming their dog. Then again I have never seen a groomer do a good job cutting their own hair either. As a stylist she should know better %26amp; spend the money - it isn't a huge sum. Human hair %26amp; dog hair in spite of what some people seem to believe are nothing alike.
Im sure there is a difference, but I would think her experience would make it easier for her.





You can find charts online that tell you exactly how to clip certain breeds, and what blades to use.





I clip my Westie mix myself - I used to clip my horses, and it is not that different.
Dog groom and being a hair stylist is Actually Quite different. you need to be care full.....But im sure you're mom could do it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment